Sunday, 9 February 2014

Evaluation Question 1

By doing this question, I have made it clear on how my video links to all the theories such as Goodwin, Archer and Vernallis and Hall. This makes my video more clear on how i've made and what theories I followed whilst filming and editing.




Use
Camera angle and composition- in my music video I felt like it was ideal to use different kinds of camera angles. This was to keep my target audience appealed, as if they was seeing the same camera angles in a different cut, they would become bored. I think the use of camera angles worked well due to the fact the song has a slow pace, I didnt want the music video to become slow as well as this would become repetitive. I also was sure to use a lot of close-ups of the artist. As Goodwin says it is vital to use them consistently in order to make the artist in the video the main character. - Inspiration used was Ed Sheeran as he is the main actor in all of his own videos. 
Fast paced editing and edited to the best-  As I wanted my music video to link with the story in the song ‘Grow Old With Me’. Synchronous sound is commonly well used in the music industry, I used this to keep my audience entertained by the upbeat music in some parts with the fast moving editing and pace in my music video. I wanted this to link to Vernallis as she says, words are largely transformed by image and sound. She also says the video must have the main lead singer in the video. I feel like I succeeded in this due to the fact the song may dazzle the audience users as they may not know what the lyrics are trying to intend. As I matched the visual to the target audience, I have let them have a better understanding of the meaning through the video. - Eliza Doolittle. 
Cultural stereotype- I followed the cultural stereotype of a teenage boy fashion sense. This meant that the boy was wearing skinny jeans and a standard top with trainers. In my video there was a numerous amount of characters as I was following Goodwins theory as he says, there are links between the lyrics and visuals. The cultural stereotype was a boy in the country, this is common in this day and age due to the fact more artists are recording their videos outside. Hall questions whether the media encode music videos with anything other than conventional representations, in the case of my music video, I feel that is important to do so, due to the songs lyrics shows itself to this kind of representation. - Passenger.

Develop
No choreographed movements- I didn’t want to use any sort of dance routine or moving in time as the other artists in the video. I didn’t want to use this method in order to make my video successful. As Archer says choreographed movements are common features of music videos. I went against this theory, I didn’t want my video to seem staged, but natural. I gave my artist very simple tasks on how I wanted him to move, this would usually happen on the spot. I decided what I think would fit in with the music would be fine. I liked the idea of the video not being prepared and organized not like a  One direction music video. - Birdy
 Intergrated performance into narrative- Vernallis says in a music video there should be connection to establish between the title and the activities of the character. I considered this and used her theory in my music video. As I wanted the audio to link in with the video, I had ‘flash backs’ which I used a grey and white effect on. This was parts of the characters past life. This made a connection to the audience to help them understand the video in a better way. The activities the character took part in whilst filming was parts of his child hood, for example, when he was running across the stepping stones and climbing through trees. - Calvin Harris.
Stream section- I used common themes however, I presented them in a different way. I used a cross dissolve cut when the location would change. I also changed the effect on most parts of the video to sepia.This was to bring more colour to the video and wildlife in the video. This gave more depth with regards to the narrative. - Bruno Mars


Challenge
 Split screen-The split screen was a challenge as it was hard to get both of the artists to sing in time. Another challenge was making sure the lip-sync was perfect and in time. This links to Goodwins theory ‘There is a relationship between lyrics and visuals’ I tried to make sure there was a relationship all the way through the video in which I feel I succeeded. I have rarely seen any others artists music videos where they have used a split screen in order to tell a story (Goodwins theory). An example of an artist who had indeed used a split screen is Frank Ocean, However he is not telling a story like I have tried to achieve in my video, he was simply showing the different locations in his music video. I think by using the split screen in my video it did in fact break up my video and didn’t make it boring and repetitive. 
I did not want to over-challenge the codes and conventions of real media products because it could potentially alienate the viewer. (Archer) I didn’t want my video to be too much to look at, this would make the viewers not want to watch the video as they may find it ‘dull’. I would also contain a lot of effort to have a video fast and upbeat with choreographed movements. - Fatboy Slim.

Memories- I wanted my music video to link in with Goodwins theory of having the visual link the lyrics. I done this by having some parts of the videos as memories which would be seen as the artists past and childhood. I made this clear by having parts of the video in black and white which are supposed to be ‘memories’.  This is like Ed Sheerans music video ‘Give Me Love’ he has scenes of a girl in his music video which is supposed to be a memory and he’s having flash backs. This has been followed by Goodwins theory.




No comments:

Post a Comment