Monday, 24 June 2013

Digipak Analysis



Digipaks typically consist of a gatefold (book-style) paperboard or card stock outer binding, with one or more plastic trays capable of holding a CD or DVD attached to the inside.
I learnt through doing this research that most people don't usually buy digipaks as they would rather buy their music online where they can access music through their laptops, phones and iPods etc. However, when I asked an older range of gender they said they do own digipaks as they wouldn't know how to use the internet to buy their songs. I learnt that piracy also fits into this, as most of the teenagers I asked said they wouldn't buy it as they choose to illegally download their music. This means that records like digipaks aren't getting sold- this is due to teenagers being the ones who listens to music every day of their life, but they access their music through technology (phones). From these interviews we have learnt digipaks are being dominated by piracy and people downloading, however adults, are still inclined to purchase them. This means that creating a digipak for a young and current artist needs to be very eye catching and offer something different in order for young people to buy them. When I come too make my digipak I now have a better understanding on what i've got too include on my front cover, as the examples I showed people didn't seem too impress people. Now I know I have too think about contrast and colours and the pictures that I will display on the front cover on the digipak. What i've learnt about the actual product is that nobody would actually buy a digipak unless the digipak cover was eye catching and different. This may be because most young people are interested in downloading music online for free, rather than going out to a store and buying a digipak.








Things I will need too include in my Digipak:

•   Good use of contrasting and colours, make the front cover stand out, e,g, good use of pictures and effects.
•   The typography that i'm going to use needs to be different and eye catching. Stand out to the rest of the cover so my target audience knows what it is. This could include bright or bold fonts. 
Good use of camera angles and positions. I need to think about what sort of shots I will want too use throughout my digipak in order to create a successful image and design for my target audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment